Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Have you lost your amazement?

The gospel of Mark reveals more stories about the life of Jesus that results in person's "being amazed" at what they saw and heard.

"The people were amazed at his teaching." Mark 1:22

Jesus has authority over evil spirits.  Mark 1:27

Jesus told the paralytic that his sins were forgiven and he could walk, everyone was amazed and praised God.  Mark 2:12

Jesus calms the seas and it's the first time Mark records the disciples' response:  "They were terrified."  Mark 4:41

The people were amazed when He cast evil spirits into the pigs.  Mark 5:20

When Jarius' daughter was raised from the dead, her parents were completely astonished.  Mark 5:42

When Jesus taught in the synagogue, many who heard were amazed.  Mark 6:2

When the Pharisees tried to trap him and Jesus turned the occasion into a display of wisdom, the witnesses were amazed.  Mark 12:17

When He walked on water the disciples were amazed.  Mark 6:51

When He healed a deaf and mute man, people were overwhelmed and amazed.  Mark 7:37

The crowds were "overwhelmed and filled with wonder" at the very sight of Jesus.  Mark 9:15

When three disciples saw the very glory of God, they "fell to the ground and was terrified."  Mark 9:7-8

At the cross, only one is mentioned in Mark that gives any response to the death of our Lord and that was the Roman centurion.  Mark 15:39

Mark ends with the women who came to the tomb and they left "trembling and bewildered."  Mark 16:8

Are you astonished at what you read here?  Are you astonished at the thought of your own salvation provided by Jesus Christ?  Are do these stories and memories become like another Sunday School lesson or sermon?  

The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir sings "I'm Amazed."

No one knew how alone I was feeling,
And the emptiness I tried so hard to hide.
Though I laugh and said my life was fine without you.
I was covering up the secret tears I cried.
Then one day someone told me of your mercies,
And the love you showed on a Hill called Calvary.
There you died and purchased my redemption,
When you broke in spite and set my spirit free.

Chorus
I'm amazed that you love me I'm amazed how you care
Through Your precious blood I've found pardon
And my sins are washed they're all washed away
All my sins are washed away

Yes
there've been days when I've failed you.
Lord you know the many times I've gone astray.
Lord I've learned your love is stronger than my weakness,
And your ear is open every time I pray. 
No one else has ever cared for me like you Lord.
Other friends could never be as close to me.
I'm not afraid to face the problems of tomorrow,
Knowing you are everything I'll ever need.


I'm amazed that you love me I'm amazed how you care
Through Your precious blood I've found pardon
And my sins are washed they're all washed away
All my sins are washed away"

Ask God to renew His amazement in your heart today.



No comments:

Post a Comment