Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sunday News Recap

One of my little habits is I like to DVR several of the news' talk shows on Sunday mornings. I have pretty well stopped listening to Fox and CNN News and will DVR a national news report normally each evening to get "news".

For intellectual talk, (especially since Larry King is gone), I DVR "Face the Nation," "Meet the Press," "This Week with Christiane Amanpour" and "Fox News Sunday." Of those four, "Fox News Sunday" is currently at the bottom of my priorities for I'm growing to dislike Chris Wallace.

Today, there were some interesting comments...let me paraphrase some of them.

George Will (ABC) - concerning immigration. We need to do two things: 1. Secure the borders. 2. Then deal with the 11 million illegals here without deporting them. We can't afford to deport them but America won't accept them here until we secure the border.

George Will - concerning those who come to this country for higher education, he said, "Every American advanced degree should come with a stapled green card," i.e. keep those with advanced degrees in this nation.

Bob Schieffer (CBS) made the best point that I've heard in a long time. He talked about the founding fathers who signed The Declaration of Independence risking their very lives to do so. He reminded us John Hancock wrote his name large so England would be able to see his name if they wanted to kill him.

He then showed a clip of Senator Tom Coburn (Ok) speaking June 14 when Coburn said, "This is the lowest level of votes taken in the Senate in my seven years there and in the past 25. Senators are afraid to vote for they will have to defend their vote. They are more interested in their political careers."

Did you understand that exchange? Our founding fathers were willing to die for a cause; our current senators won't even vote on issues (like the budget) because that will mean they have taken a stand for or against something.

On "Face the Nation," Ohio Governor Kasich said, "There is too much posturing, too much thinking about your party and your self."

Kasich further said about balancing the budget in Ohio, you have to "strip out the politics and look the problem straight in the eye."

Wisconsin Governor Walker said, " We need to think about the next generation, not the next election."

My thoughts: I don't know a Democratic or Republican that I have faith in that would be willing to lose the next election to do what is right. I pray we could elect some people that would change my mind, but I've not seen it yet. Money and political power is ruling Washington.

We need to pray for men and women in Washington to humble themselves and do what is right for this country and the next generation; and not what is right for their political party or what will get them elected next term.

No comments:

Post a Comment