Friday, November 25, 2011

Alabama-Auburn Thoughts November 25, 2011

Seems every year I write before the Alabama-Auburn football game. This may be my last time to do so. I am 51 years old and I am becoming less and less enthused by college football at Alabama and Auburn. I have never been the biggest football fan (love basketball much more), but I am becoming less and less of whatever level of a "fan" I was.

And to be hones as I look back over the years, I may have only "liked" the game out of dislike for the other team more than a love for the other team. I mean, I was raised in the state of Alabama and that is what every boy and girl has to do. I found myself enjoying Alabama-Auburn football more when I lived in Louisiana (where I came to like LSU).

Let me give you a few reasons why I am becoming less a "fan":

1. This is no longer a sport - it is a rivalry and bragging rights more than a game.

If it was a sport first, then I might it enjoy it better. But in this state, this game and the two college football teams are more than a sport -

2. Anything that can take my joy or cause my grief as a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ needs my careful attention. Enough said for believers and un-believers wouldn't understand.

3. The college football game is so corrupt. Oh, come on - you think I'm wrong. Let me just name...Cam Newton, Gene Jelks, Logan Young, Bobby Lowder. And anyone who does not believe that players are being paid and extra benefits are given are simply naive - yes, at YOUR university.

4. College football is now about money, first and foremost. If not, then why on earth is Texas A&M and Missouri coming into the SEC? And the B.C.S. - .... And for coaches in a public, educational institution being paid what they are and they still want to talk about a "student-athlete" - give me a break.

And I made the statement from our pulpit in 2011 that the best thing that could happen to the state of Alabama spiritually (see #5 below) would be for Alabama and Auburn to go into the game tomorrow 0-11. One person said that the success of their football team added millions and millions of dollars to this state, thus it would be bad on the economy for that to happen. My point made....

5. Alabama-Auburn is becoming very close to idolatry in this state. The last two years of national championships and Heisman winners have accelerated this process. It has always been seen as a religion, god and church. Now it is worse than ever. Many believers identify with one of the two schools more than they do with Jesus.

Conclusion: here is a thought - why don't Alabama and Auburn (and most of college football as far as that goes) go professional and withdraw from their school's campuses. They don't have to be the NFL - just a junior league. Then they can pay the players, pay the million of dollars to their coaches, stop the hypocrisy of a "student-athlete" and be what they are .... something else than a college sport. In fact, most of the "fans" of Alabama and Auburn football never attended that school as a student. Perfect for a "professional" status.

No comments:

Post a Comment