Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Honoring the Memory of Dr. Bill Cowley

As I recall the number of teachers and professors who I have had the privilege to sit under through 19 years of official education through Boaz, Snead State Community College, Samford University, and New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, names such as my Aunt Ruby Gilbreath, Dr. Harold Bryson, Dr. Lunceford, Dr. J. Hardee Kennedy, and Dr. George Harrison come to mind.  But there was nobody, I mean NOBODY whoever took more interest in me as a person, and a student than Dr. Bill Cowley.

I did not know Dr. Cowley until I had him for a Communication class at Samford.  He was a short man, soft-spoken, and I thought initially not going to be a good professor.  But when I would see him walking through campus and calling me by name, he would ask before or after class about my church that I was pastoring, and about my family - many times remembering their names, as well.  Then he would stay in touch when he saw my name in The Alabama Baptist or some other newspaper.  He honestly knew me and cared about me.

I don't remember much he taught me in class, but I remember all those times he would be friendly and want to engage me.  He took the initiative and I will never forget it.

This says one thing to me...personal interest makes a more lasting impact than the subject a teacher or professor is teaching.  When he turned 90, his family reached out to me asking to send him a card which I gladly did.

Now, on April 12 he passed on to glory.  I will never forget the genuine love you have for people will always surpass what you teach or preach.  Thanks, Dr. Cowley.

You can read the story here.

His full obituary is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment