Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Sunday School 101 - Part One

I don't remember the first pastor who said to me years (and years, and years) ago that Sunday School is the most important ministry in your church.  I am now in year 46 of being a pastor but I quickly learned in the size churches I was privileged to pastor that I had to learn the basics of Sunday School to grow and keep a growing church.  I'm glad I did.

Too many pastors ignore Sunday School or pass it off to another staff member.  In my opinion, that is a mistake.  Here is the definition I have developed over the years for Sunday School:  Sunday School is the church organized and mobilized. 

Let me just briefly unpack the definition here and then over the next several weeks I will do more.

Sunday School is an organization that must be run like an organization.  There must be levels of ministers  who understand their role, position, and responsibilities.  If it breaks down at any level, then the Sunday School suffers.  I will share over the next several weeks (most likely more than you want, but not more than you need) ministry descriptions for these positions.  It is MANDATORY to have an organization structure to Sunday School.

And Sunday School is the church mobilized.  It is the church moving to carry out its purposes and plans.  There is no, and I said NO, ministry greater than the Sunday School because of the capacity it has to move the church totally to fulfill the purpose and plans of the church.

In some ways, Sunday School is the church in smaller quantities.  It is the way to teach, minister, care, provide accountability, perform missions and outreach, as well as lead its members to worship.

I can't wait for these next few weeks.  Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment