Monday, October 16, 2023

I Stand with Israel

 

I will stand with Israel!!  What does that mean in these days of wars and terrorist attacks.

Let me be clear on what it does not mean.  

1. It does not mean the current state of Israel is God-fearing, Jesus-following Jews who are my brothers and sisters in Christ.  In fact, the opposite is most likely true.  Modern-day Israel is one of the most secular nations on the earth and they follow their cultural religion of Judaism without believing in Jesus as their Messiah and Saviour.  There are many Jews who have had their eyes open and their hearts changed to unapologetically follow Jesus of Nazareth.  But this is not the majority of the Jews.

2. It does not mean I support every decision the government of Israel makes.  They have democratic elections like we do in America and for that we applaud them.  But they can make the same power-hungry decisions as we do in American politics.

So what does it mean?

1. Israel and the Jews are the most hated group of people on the face of the earth.  This hate goes deep and there are many enemies of the Jews who wish they were no longer in existence from the Naxis in Germany to modern-day Iran.

They have a right to live in peace and to self-government.  This right is heightened when your fierce enemies live on your border and within missile striking range.

2. I stand with Israel because I believe the Bible says God is not finished with the Jews or the land called Israel.  I believe God made promises to Abraham and the Jews that have not been totally fulfilled but will be in the future. I believe there will come a day when many Jews will come to Jesus and Jesus Himself will reign in the city of Jerusalem.

From the opening of Genesis with the creation story and the promise of "land" to Abraham, the "land" has been very important to the Jews. And to a lesser degree, it is vital to us as Christians.  To see in this generation Israel become a state again and have their "land" is a miracle in itself.  I believe we should do all we can to protect Israel in their land.

3. I stand with Israel because my Saviour and Lord was born in Bethlehem, raised in Nazareth, died outside of Jerusalem, raised back to life in a garden tomb nearby, and was humanly a Jew.  The Bible I treasure as the inspired Word of God mainly came to us through Jews. The Jews are "the apple of His eye" and they will always hold a dear place in my heart and life for without the Jews I would not know Jesus.

So, we pray for the "peace of Jerusalem."  We pray for the day when all Jerusalem (the Jews) will come to know the Prince of Peace and when Jesus will reign in total peace in that beloved city of David.  It will happen and no terrorist organization or hated nation will stop it.  So we say with John in the closing verses of our Bible, "Even so, come, Lord Jesus." 

Until then, we will stand with Israel.

Blessings;

David

No comments:

Post a Comment