Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Rest for the Pastor

I have just returned to the office yesterday from a two-week vacation.  I am grateful for a church that gives me adequate vacation time throughout the year so that I can take advantage of two weeks back-to-back.

As a younger pastor, two weeks away seemed to be impractical due to family obligations and, to be frank, my pride.  I didn't think the church could survive well without me.  And to be further honest, there might have been some I did not trust what they would do with a "leadership vacuum" for two weeks. 

But God has granted me a blessed congregation that is led well by a group of Elders whom I trust with all of my heart and a church that respects their ministry.  

So I have enjoyed two weeks of rest.  Why two weeks?  As an older pastor told me years ago, a pastor who carries the load he does daily does not begin to really rest until at least seven days away.  So, the last two weeks are where the real rest comes in.

Further, time away for a pastor is always a blessing to the church he serves.  A pastor is never really "off."  The role of a pastor is a heart occupation. No, pastors do not operate or treat hearts, but instead, every true pastor carries the people and his responsibility to be the preacher constantly in his heart.  He may be on the beach, in the mountains, or with the family, but his heart (and mind) is still with God and his ministry.

Because of that, when a pastor gets away and clears his mind (and ears, lol), then he can hear God speak more clearly about the direction of his life, his family, and the church.  God can give him insight into the Word that he shares with the people whom he loves the most.

So, why am I writing this blog?  To say, never be jealous of the time your pastor is away.  I'm grateful no one at Rainsville First ever fuses about this, but that is not true for most churches.  Your pastor is best when he is rested and connected with the Spirit and the Word.


No comments:

Post a Comment