Friday, January 11, 2013

Praying the Scriptures, Part II


Yesterday I shared here about the promises God has made us if we pray.  I mentioned seven.

Today, I share with you how.  It is by Praying the Scriptures.

Prayer and the Scriptures go together:

Ephesians 6: 17-18  The Sword of the Spirit and praying go together.   “Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.

George Muller said he struggled to keep his mind on prayer until he learned to pray with his Bible open.

When we pray this way, our prayers will reflect the Scriptures  and not just our thoughts.

As you read the Scriptures, remembering to look at them through something like this might be helpful:

S - Specific aspect of God I need to know
P - Promise I need to claim
E - Example I need to follow
C - Confession of sin I need to make
K - Knowledge I need to learn

Kevin DeYoung gave this:

When I look at a Scripture, I lay these three words over it:

Rejoice
Repent
Request

I promise you it will deepen and delight your prayer life if you will practice praying the Scriptures.

No comments:

Post a Comment