Thursday, July 25, 2013

Persecution and Poverty - Part Three

The answer I gave yesterday is true - it should be both an inward and outward pressure that would move us to be true Christians.

As a true follower of Christ - I should expect some level of persecution.  I should be considered both "poor and rich"because I have nothing I consider my own, and yet I have everything I need.

In Revelation 2: 8-10, the church had Smyrna had no rebuke given to them because "I know your works, tribulation, and poverty (but, you are rich)..."

The Bishop of Smyrna was Polycarp who was martyred in 155 A.D.  He refused to be nailed because he was not resisting the stake at which he would be burned.  Before they burned him, he said, "Eighty-and-six years I have served Him, and He has done me no wrong.  How can I blaspheme my King who saved me?"  With that, they tried to burn him but he would not burn.  They stabbed him and the blood put out the fire.  But here is an example of the leader of the church at Smyrna knowing well that to follow Christ would mean death.

Then during the days of the Anti-Christ, two things will be evident for all who do not receive the mark of the Beast - persecution and poverty.


"And it was allowed to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image of the beast might even speak and might cause those who would not worship the image of the beast to be slain. Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name."  Revelation 13: 15-17

So does this mean we pray for persecution? or sell everything and move into a monastery?  I don't think so.  But it does mean we are not shocked when persecution happens, but rather we expect it. And we give everything away to the Lord and live dependent on Him alone.

My final word:  Christians - tough times are here and it will be worse.  But don't be afraid or shocked, being a follower of Jesus demands it and the kingdom of God advances due to it.




No comments:

Post a Comment