Friday, March 20, 2015

Saved to sin no more by Brad Whitt

Saved to sin no more
God not only saves us from the penalty of sin; He also saves us from the power of sin.

Once we are saved, we no longer have to sin. As the old hymn writer put it, we are “saved to sin no more.”

Before you are saved, you don’t have a choice; you are a slave to sin. But, once you are saved, you no longer have to sin. 
Not that we will ever lay hold of this perfectly and become sinless, but the fact remains, we no longer have to sin.

If we are truly saved, we will sin less than we did before. If we don’t sin less than we did before, it calls into question whether we were truly saved. We are saved by grace through faith alone. But, faith that saves is never alone.

Buddy Robinson was a tongue-tied preacher who used to say, “Before I was saved, I used to drink and cuss and run around with wild women. Since I have been saved and sanctified, I have just about cut out all that.”

We will never be completely sinless. The day we are sinless is the day the mortician is getting our name right for the newspaper.

You can sin. You can sin and enjoy it. But you cannot sin and enjoy it for long. The heavenly Father disciplines those He loves (Hebrews 12).

Eventually, we will be saved from the presence of sin. 1 John 3:2 says that when we see Him, we will be like Him.

One of these days the trumpet will sound and the sky will split open. He will take us away from this world of wickedness and sorrow and tears and shame.

The first time He came to redeem me.
The second time He will come to receive me.

The first time He came to give me a new heart.
The second time He will come to give me a new home.

The first time He came to give me His grace.
The second time He will come to give me His glory.

F.F. Bruce once said, “Sanctification is glory begun. Glorification is sanctification complete.”
I have been saved. I am being saved. One day, I will be saved.

Bruce, F. F. Romans: An Introduction and Commentary. Vol. 6. Tyndale New Testament Commentaries. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1985.


(This was taken from the book Rooted by Brad Whitt)

No comments:

Post a Comment