Sunday, November 19, 2017

I Thank My God...Reflections on Thanksgiving 2017

This is my favorite time of the year.  I love Thanksgiving because I love its food, fall colors, and it's family focus.

As I reflect on this Thanksgiving, I am always reminded of what Paul said in Ephesians 5: 20 "..always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."

So, let me give a short-list of my Thanksgiving blessings:


*  I am grateful God the Father sought me, Jesus brought me and the Holy Spirit birthed me as a child of God and I will forever be His child;

*  I am grateful for my precious wife, Roxanne, with whom we have been married 37 years;

*  I am grateful for my two sons, Keith and Kevin, for their love for me and desire to still include me in their lives and for the good relationship we have.

*  I am grateful for Kevin's wife, Brooke, and their precious daughter, Mary Ellis, that was just born November 9 and my five other grandchildren - Cayden, Brooklyn, Mason, Abby and Baylor.  What a joy to have six grandchildren at the age of 57!!!

*  I am grateful for a Godly heritage my parents left me and for the family God permitted me to be raised in, the community of Boaz and my home church, Second Baptist Church of Boaz.

*  I am grateful for Godly men who influenced me early in life (beyond my dad):  W.H. Hayes, Dwight Teal, and Clinton Garmon.

*  I am grateful for friends who "stick closer than a brother" and most of them for over 30 years.

*  I am grateful God called me to preach and pastor;  no greater honor of which I do not deserve.

*  I am grateful for each church God has privileged me to pastor and the many, many friends we have on this side of Heaven who enrich our life.

*  I am grateful for Rainsville First Baptist's continual love and support of me as their preacher, pastor and friend;  for the wonderful team of fellow ministers and deacons God has given us to serve with and for the larger community in which is our field.

*  I am grateful in the toughest year of my family life there is so much to be thankful and God is "the lifter of the head." Psalm 3:3

If this has been a tough year for you, then just begin to "count your blessings, name them one-by-one, and it will surprise what the Lord has done."

I never thought I would be where I am today.  But our God is faithful and His grace is sufficient and He is more sweeter today than ever.

So, if you still have breathe in your lungs, then "Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.  Praise the Lord."  Psalm 150: 6

So, happy Thanksgiving from my heart to yours. 

Some closing quotes:

"The more grateful you are the more likely you are to exhibit patience and self-control.  College students who instituted methods for increasing gratitude such as keeping a gratitude journal slept longer and better.  And couples who exhibit thankfulness tend to be more committed to each other and are more likely to remain in their relationships." - Jim Denison

"Studies have shown that gratitude can indirectly influence physical health, as well. Those who have 'dispositional gratitude' - defined by one study as 'part of a wider life orientation towards noticing and appreciating the positive in the world' - are more likely to report good physical health, a propensity for healthy activities and willingness to seek help for health concerns."  - David G. Allan

"Know that the Lord is God.  It is he that made us, and were are his, we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise.  Give thanks to him, bless his name.  For the Lord is good;  his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations."  Psalm 100: 3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment