Wednesday, April 8, 2020

The Plan Behind "The Pain of Suffering Alone" Series

I begin to feel the impression of the Lord in late 2019 to deal with the issue of suffering using the book of Job as the backdrop.  But I knew it would be more than just Job.

We all suffer - stub our toe, have kidney stones, have major surgery - but few of us suffer for long periods of time.  And when our life becomes categorized by suffering, friends and even family begin to call less often and loneliness sets in.  Then questions about "Where are you God?"  "Have you forsaken me, God?"  "Is this from you or the devil?"

And before you know it we are having to endure another pain - the pain of suffering alone.

I have preached for a long time that tough days are coming to the church.  There is a possibility some of the church could go through a portion of the tribulation which will be marked by suffering, but not the worse suffering produced in the Tribulation.  That will be greater suffering, called the "wrath of God," which will be reserved for unbelievers.

So we need to learn to suffer - and most likely suffer alone.  Job suffered and for a while, he only wished he was suffering alone.  Friends and his wife became a part of his suffering.  Nobody understood.  Then God became Job's problem.

But there is more about the issue of suffering that God led me to address.

Questions like:

"Does God still heal?"

"What is the heart of Jesus toward healing?"

"Is it God's will for everyone to be healed?

"Is it God's will for me to be rich and financially prosperous?"

"If I am rich, should I be giving my riches away?"

Of course, I did not know the beginning of this study would begin with Christians being quarantined and the church-going through an unprecedented (at least in our lifetime) time of not meeting.  Suffering?  Alone?

So during 2020 on Wednesday nights, I am teaching "The Pain of Suffering Alone."  In the first few weeks, we will examine Job, then move to the issue of healing and prosperity.  May God be glorified and His people edified and equipped for suffering...all based on the Word of God.


No comments:

Post a Comment