Tuesday, February 16, 2021

"The Forgotten and Uncomfortable God: The Holy Spirit" - New Series Begins February 17

 

I was always taught in my younger days that the Holy Spirit today was not the same as the Holy Spirit in the Bible and we could not expect our version of the Holy Spirit to do or be the same as in the Bible.  We lived in a different day and the Spirit would only do certain things for certain people in certain days.  We could "study" about the Holy Spirit but we should not expect to "experience" Him like they did, especially in the New Testament.

But I will never forget sitting in a Greek class at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary in 1986 when I saw for the first time that I no longer could say that all the gifts of the Holy Spirit had passed away and was not for us today.  I remember that day so vividly.  I remember saying to the Lord, "I may have never seen all the gifts in right operation and I may not understand them, but from this day forward I no longer can say they are not for us."  

That started me on a journey that I will gladly admit that I am still on today.  Looking back on it, it would have been a lot easier to take the view that some things have passed away, but oh the joy and "life" that I would have missed if I had.  I have been wrong so many times, but the times I have been right have been so wonderful.  

Since those days, I have never taught completely about the Holy Spirit.  But it's time.  I don't have much more time left to be able to spend with a church twelve-to-eighteen months sharing the truths of the Holy Spirit.  So, the Lord gave me the green light last year to do this study.  I am beginning tomorrow night.  It will never be complete this side of Heaven because the Lord is always teaching and correcting this finite mind.  But I can't wait.  In fact, what the Lord is doing fresh in my heart is yet another evidence.  2020 was the greatest spiritual year I have ever had personally.  And as I prepare to teach on the Holy Spirit, the well of joy is continuing to spring forth.  Thank you Lord for the Holy Spirit!!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment