Wednesday, August 16, 2023

The Three Fold Expression of the Church - Part Three

This is part three of my Wednesday blog (directed toward Rainsville First Baptist Church but is most likely applicable to any church.) Last week I dealt with the first expression of the church being worship.  Since this blog is intended to record some of my thoughts for all time on subjects, let me address one other aspect about persons in the church who do not attend worship but only Sunday School.

First, of all, they can do whatever they want to do.  Yep, and nobody can stop them or change them until they have their eyes open by the Holy Spirit.  I am at least grateful they come to something, even if their weekly practice is never to attend the corporate worship with believers.

Second, this happens in every church.  There is not a church I have ever pastored that didn't have these persons who did that.  There are many different reasons why someone chooses not to attend worship...some might not can sit through both experiences due to health issues. I understand that...my wife suffers greatly from sitting, but for her, the last thing going in her life is public worship.  

I will NEVER forget attending The Potter's House years in 2005.  (Now, anyone who wants to write me to correct me, just save yourself and me too.  I would go again.  T. D. Jakes may not be right in all of his theology, but I've been wrong too many times in my arrogance and so have Southern Baptists). Now, let's move on.

That day I attended the second service and was seated in the "guest" section of the Audiotirum when I noticed to my left ushers bringing in a lady in a wheelchair.  I watched as this older lady got out of the wheelchair with the careful assistance of an usher to a pew (not a chair) and she slid down to make room for her husband who sat on the end.  She was in my view the entire service and I would watch her.  I watched her as she was unable to stand for any of the music.  I watched her and she would periodically reach under her hip and move it.  I could only sense the pain she must have been in, the difficulty of just sitting there, and the extra care she took to move her legs into a more comfortable position.

Now, if you have never been to The Potter's House, then you may not be aware but the service lasted over two-and-half hours.  Pastor Jakes was in the pulpit from the time he began through the invitation for 105 minutes.  This lady sit there the entire time.  I noticed from time to time she would raise her hand, and take her handkerchief to wipe a tear.  She was engaged even though she was probably in pain.

When the service was over, I went over to where she was.  I introduced myself as a pastor and told her I had watched her during the service and what a blessing she had been to me.  I further indicated I did not know what she had been through, but her worship in the midst of her pain has made a lasting impression.  Now, almost 20 years later, I still can see that precious lady dressed in yellow worshipping the Lord.

But another reason people don't attend worship is protest.  I have had these for sure that they are protesting the music, a recent decision of the church, and for sure the pastor himself.  I understand all of that. There are more times than not I don't know the music, I don't always agree with every decision the church or a group makes, and I don't even like myself sometimes.  But to use those excuses is to slap God in the face and to bluntly disobey His clear command to "not forsake the assembling of yourselves together" is a role of the dice with God that I'm not willing to make.  God is bigger than the music, bad decisions, and a bad preacher.  He is worthy of my praise with the saints.

One last word...so when preacher do I leave a church where I so dislike the music, the decisions, and the preacher?  When God releases you.  You NEVER leave for selfish reasons.  God alone is the one who called you to that church and He alone is the one who will release you.  EVERY church will go through issues you don't like so if the reason you are moving is you don't like something, then you will NEVER get settled in a church. 

Spiritual people will stay in a carnal church longer than carnal people will stay in a spiritual church. Enough said.

No one more question, so when do you celebrate the Lord's Supper?  Just a question....



No comments:

Post a Comment