Friday, May 12, 2023

"The Path is One of the Cross" - Sunday Sermon for May 14, 2023

"Now large crowds were going along with Him; and He turned and said to them, 'If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple. Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple." Luke 14: 25-27 (NASB)

This coming Lord's Day we will continue our series of sermons "The Path" based on Luke 14: 25-35 with the words that follow the "hate" speech of Jesus concerning "hating" one's own life and carrying one's own cross.

What is my cross?  What does that mean?  Many through the years see it as: 

  • A bad marriage that you must tolerate.
  • A crippling disease or long-lasting disease for wish you must suffer
  • Natural pain that is almost unbearable
  • An unusual burden you are specifically called to bear unlike someone else    

But when Jesus spoke about a cross to this crowd, there was only one thought, picture, or idea in their mind:  death.  

So what does it mean to die, and yet live?

Paul would say it this way, "I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me." Galatians 2: 20 (NASB)

Join us this Sunday at 10:15 AM at Rainsville First Baptist Church or online here.







No comments:

Post a Comment