Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Anybody Can Understand the Word of God

I have never been anything but a preacher and pastor.  Well, not technically...but I don't remember much of the days in church life prior to me being a preacher (since I started when I was 11 years old).  I started going to Howard Extension (as it was known in the 70's from Samford University) as a young boy, then later got my Bachelor's from Samford.  Then on to New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary with a Master of Divinity degree. It could almost be said I have studied the Bible either formally or informally all my life.

But even with that, I was not great with the Biblical languages.  I struggled and still do.  I can look at those who took Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic (some of the Old Testament was written in Aramaic) and say, "I can't do what they do."

Saying all of that... maybe some look at me and think the same.  (I'm not sure why if you only knew my lack of learning too).  But maybe this is just the fallacy of human nature believing some things only certain people can know or experience.

Acts 4: 13 said of Peter and John, "When they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated, common men, they were astonished.  And they recognized they had been with Jesus."

Now, Peter and John were not ignorant.  They were businessmen who owned a fishing company.  So they were smart men.  What the Sanhedrin was saying of them is they never went to rabbinical school to officially be educated in the art of biblical interpretation, or the traditions of the elders and rabbis.  

Maybe that could be said of you?  It can even be said of me because I did not get a Ph.D. majoring in Greek and New Testament or Hebrew and the Old Testament. 

But Peter and John shocked those who had the "degrees" because they knew the Word of God and the life of Jesus came through them.

Let me say it plainly...as believers who all have equal access to the Holy Spirit (the only teacher of the Word of God) and the Word of God, there are no "favorites" or "upperclassmen" with God.  We all can know Him, the Word, and the fullness of the Spirit of God in our lives. 

The only hindrance to this is not our education or heritage, but our discipline.  If we commit ourselves to being a student of the Word relying on the Spirit of God, there is no respecter of persons.

What an encouragement to our discipleship ministry here at Rainsville First and to every believer!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment