Monday, February 19, 2024

The Purpose of the Book of Revelation

Revelation is my favorite book in the Bible that I have spent less time in than any other book.  Really.  I have never been drawn to Revelation to get a "scoop" on when the end is coming and I will be out of here.  And then I saw it one day that totally changed my perspective and love of Revelation.

The very first chapter, the very first verse, and the very first words: "The Revelation of Jesus Christ." Oh, this is the title of the book and this is what the book is about?  The book of Revelation is about Jesus Christ and not the end times.  It was then I began falling in love with the book.

Have you seen it, too?  Do you see it now?  Since Jesus is the love of my life, my Saviour from my sins, and my Lord and Master, then anything about Him I want to read.  And what a story it is.

Chapter one is a picture of Jesus we don't see anywhere else in Scripture.  That voice, his head and hair white as snow, eyes like fire, feet like brass, and in His hands are stars and a sword.  That is a different picture than Jesus stooping down to wash their feet or hanging naked on the cross in humiliation. 

Make no doubt about it, the book of Revelation contains some weird and gross scenes that are hard to explain and figure out.  But if the overarching theme over it all is Jesus is the Victor, then trying to figure out who the horns of the beast are.  I'm not saying they are not important, I'm saying seeing Jesus in all of the story is FAR more important.

So what is the response to seeing Jesus in Revelation?

John, the author, was the one who leaned on the breast of Jesus when they both were on the earth together.  Now, having seen the Lord in this position, he falls as a dead man at his feet (1:17), and there is constant worship and praise of this Lamb in Revelation 4-5 resulting in again falling at his feet to worship him (19:10).

Our Jesus is in control of the details of the end of the world and NOTHING and NO ONE will change that fact.  What comfort!!  What peace!! What reason to praise Him!!  No wonder there is a blessing promised to those who read Revelation (1:3).  

No comments:

Post a Comment