Wednesday, April 24, 2024

My Favorite Title for a Pastor

There are several Biblical names for the office we call Pastor.  There is Elder, Bishop, Pastor, Teacher, and then this one...Shepherd.  That is my favorite.  Nobody ever calls the Pastor that in day-to-day conversation, but the name reveals something very deep about the calling and office of the Pastor.  To this day I title my columns I write "From the Shepherd's Heart."  I love the title.

A true Shepherd (over against a hireling - see John 10: 12-13) cares for his sheep.  He has compassion for them, even as Jesus did.  Matthew 9:36 says of Jesus "He was moved with compassion for them..."

True shepherds care when their flock is hurting and in danger.  Their heart is moved when the heart of a sheep is moved to tears or is being torn apart.  That is why a pastor stays close to those who are hurting, sick, experiencing death, and dying.  

This is burdensome carrying the load of many broken hearts, but since the Chief Shepherd carries even a greater load, then it's not too much to ask the under-shepherd to bear his load.

If men are willing to get their hands dirty and heartbroken, then the pastorate is not for them.  You can't be aloof from the people and be their pastor.  I love the people of God.  I have been hurt many, many times, but there is still a genuine love and care for the people God has called me to.

One of the miracles of being a pastor that I did not expect was how God changes your heart and moves burdens.  At the close of my first pastorate at Sardis Baptist Church in 1981, I never thought I could love another group of people like that. I can still see myself walking beside the church crying like a baby when we left.  How can I ever love a church like this again?  But what I didn't know is, God miraculously removes the deep love for a people and gives it again at the next church.  I never expected that.  No one ever told me that in preparation to be a pastor.  But I sure did praise God when I experienced it.  

It's not that you don't love the people in previous churches, you do.  But you can't love them like you did when you were their pastor or else your human capacity would explode.  And God gives them another pastor to love them.  I have always said, I am the pastor for only one time in my life.

Blessings;

David


No comments:

Post a Comment