Wednesday, April 10, 2024

The Call of God to Be a Pastor

March 20, 2024 was the last Wednesday I wrote on the subject of Elders and Pastors.  I want to continue the series today and for a few more weeks.  I want to highlight the calling of a Pastor/Elder.

I Timothy 3:1 says "If a man desires the position of a bishop, he desires a good work."  To desire is to yearn for, to stretch toward.  It has the picture of a horse reaching with all he has for the race he is in and the finish line ahead.  This word carries passion and purpose.

I don't believe it means that a person just "wants" to become a pastor, for in my experience, the office of a Pastor is one God uniquely calls one into.  I will say without any reservation, the call of God to be a preacher/pastor is one of the strongest certainities in my life.  There was a time early in my life when the call to be a preacher was more certain than me being a Christian (story for another time).

There are many today who suggest there is no "call" to be a pastor.  But that simply is not the case with me and I want to say, without reservation, it has been that call that has sustained me through 46 years of being a pastor and 53 years of being a preacher. 

I know all believers are "called" and "sent out," but I also hold to a definite, defining sense of call to be a pastor/preacher.

The sense God chose you and you didn't choose the position of a preacher/pastor.  I know it can sound arrogant, and for that reason, one must walk in humility and dependence on God.  But if I had "chosen" to be a pastor myself, then I would have walked away many, many times thinking I had made the wrong choice and there was another choice better for me.

The one who is a bishop/pastor/elder needs to have a passion within him to run the race well.  There is no place to coast or slow down.  The passion God placed within you is sufficient to carry you across the finish line.

My anchor in the storms of church life, the self-doubts that flood your mind about your abilities, and the harsh treatment of Satan and his allies is God has called me and He will sustain me.  

Blessings;

David

No comments:

Post a Comment