Monday, December 15, 2008

Congratulations to Don Graham on 50 years in ministry

Last night (December 14) I had the opportunity to go to Deerfoot Baptist Church, Trussville, AL to celebrate with my dear friend, Bro. Don Graham. Bro. Don was celebrating 50 years in the ministry and what a great night it was.

Bro. Don and Mrs. Jean have meant so much to so many through the years. For 35 years he served five churches (including Bellevue Baptist, Gadsden and FBC Center Point), two years as a foreign missionary and now for over 12 years as an interrant minister.

I don't remember the first time I met Bro. Don but I do remember the first time he took an interest in me. He was pastoring at FBC Center Point (Birmingham area) and I had the privilege to spend some time talking to him about preaching. I was elated. From that, God begin knitting our hearts.

He later would teach at my invitation in the North Alabama Center of New Orleans Seminary tackling Psalms. He did an outline of every Psalm and I still have those in my files today. Several of the students who met him during that class in Boaz also developed a long term relationship with Bro. Don and were present last night to honor him.

I have had Bro. Don on several occasions to preach where God has permitted me to serve as pastor. In the latter years of his ministry, God has found a voice in Bro. Don to preach the message of revival. God is using His servant in a great way in that ministry.

I had the privilege of going with Bro. Don in 2004 to Wales to be a member of a team celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Welsh Revival. What an honor.

Another thing about Bro. Don is his love for basketball. On more than one occasion, Bro. Don and I have shared a basketball game whether its been the Final Four of high school or a college game. We've even sit in the hot sun together at the SEC Baseball Tournament.

I am "his liberal" friend. Even last night he acknowledged me as his "liberal" friend. haha The only reason he says that is on my cell phone is some contemporary Christian music so he jokingly calls me liberal. Oh, yes..there is one more reason. I went to the SEC-Big East Basketball games last December in Birmingham and it happened to be on a Wednesday night. Now the church had given me those tickets for Pastor Appreciation so they knew the game was on Wednesday night. But he now has added that I go to basketball games on Wednesday nights instead of church. But by the way, he was also at that game that night. I got him the tickets and he took them. I am just following the good example of a mentor. haha

I love and honor Bro. Don and say "Congratulations." He will never read this because he does not have email or Internet access (and neither does he have a cell phone). But never-the-less, I take this space to honor him.

No comments:

Post a Comment