Monday, November 1, 2010

My prayer for our nation as we face elections 2010

As I write this one day before the election, I am reminded of the article I wrote two years ago on the same day. Click here to read that article of November 3, 2008.

Two years of complete Democratic rule has most of us conservatives wishing for a complete Republican take-over tomorrow.

Yet, years of going through these times (I am old enough to have gone through the Reagan elections), I am here to say our greatest need tomorrow is NOT for Republicans to gain control of the Congress, state house or any house. We’ve been there and done that.

As a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ and whose goal is to see “His Kingdom come and His will be done,” and for every person on this planet to be transformed by the grace of God; then my greatest desire is to see a change of heart among those who occupy the seats of government as well as the seats in our churches.

The church needs to repent of believing a party will ever bring about the “glory of God” that this nation and church needs. The church (of which I have been a part for thirty years) has too long believed that getting the right party or person into political office will solve our problems. Well, it hasn't and it won't. We need heart transformation; not just party swapping.

Government policies can (and do) legislature morality, but a change of morality is not what we as believers in Christ want to see. We must not lessen our goal of seeing hearts changed. We want to see persons (whether they are in the government or church) who will without apology give the only and highest glory to God, and God alone. And not just to how you interpret "God." His name is Jesus!!!

Then, morality will take care of itself when hearts are changed.

I do not believe either the Republicans nor the Democrats are at that point. In fact, I don’t know if any of them even really care about this country - only that they get re-elected and put more money in their pockets. (Please, forgive me - I don’t mean for this article to go negative).

The competition, compromise and calloused self-promotion of both parties is not worthy of my following as a Christian. My allegiance is to a higher calling and purpose.

So, what do I do tomorrow? I will vote, but with a very heavy heart. I will weep over the choices we have. But to stay home and not vote would even be worse.

My prayer for me, our churches, and our nations: "Now, therefore, says the Lord, Turn to Me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning." So rend, your heart, and not your garments; Return to the Lord your God,..." Joel 2:12-13

Oh, God, may I live long enough in this land to see it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment