Wednesday, January 3, 2024

More in '24

 

I am not one who gets "a word" for every year.  I do not seek for it and do not feel I am more spiritual if I get one or something is wrong if I don't.  But sometimes God surprises me with a sense of a word for the year.  2024 is one of those.

"More in '24" - catchy.  Right.  But it is tied to James 4: 6 where James says, "But He gives more grace."  Then ...."But God gives grace to the humble."

More grace?  Paul learned in response to his request three times to have a "thorn" removed that "My grace is sufficient for you..."  (II Corinthians 12: 9) We can all quote the verse because we all have felt, at one time or another, we were dealing with our unmoved thorn for which we have begged God to remove.  So we settle for "My grace is sufficient."

God's grace is enough....until through the Holy Spirit He says "He gives more grace." That is intriguing.  Are there times in our life we need "more grace?"  Apparently...   

But the key is He gives it to those who are humble.  Being humble has caused me many questions.  I have heard all my life God will humble you.  Yes, He will bring us down, but even while lying on the ground we could still be proud and arrogant.  Humility is as far away as from the heights from which we just fell.

In my older years, I have come to believe God does not humble us. We must humble ourselves.  James 4:10 "Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up."

God can provide the platform (sickness, relational problems, financial ruin, public embarrassment, etc) on which would be a great place for us to recognize our fallen humanity and weak souls causing us to call on God in humility.  But many times on those platforms of opportunity we grow more determined in ourselves to push through and make it on our own.  No humility.  No recognizing of our need.  Our weakness.  Of our need for God.

So when there will be moments in my life when I will need "more" grace, then I need to always seek to walk humbly before my God so I can have my hands and heart open to receive his extra measure of grace.

Micah 6:8 "And what does the Lord require of you...and to walk humbly with your God."

Humlity = more grace.

Blessings;

David


No comments:

Post a Comment