Tuesday, October 28, 2008

From New Orleans

I am in New Orleans at the seminary and what a delight to be back on campus where my family and I enjoyed a wonderful time of our life.  The only sad thing is to realize it was 21 years ago when we last lived here - ouch.

I am here with three of our church members who are looking at the seminary and praying through decisions about education.  This is a true delight and a fulfilling of my role as pastor to see these young people seek God's will concerning training for ministry.

We arrived yesterday and after a quick car tour through the seminary, we went downtown.  We walked through the French quarters, had bignets and tried to eat at my favorite restaurant but thanks to Starbucks Convention in town, they had bought out the restaurant for both Monday and Tuesday nights - so Hard Rock Cafe was our second choice.

These guys officially tour the seminary today including meeting with the Dean of Leavell College and sitting in one of his classes (which I plan to do as well).  We will attend chapel later this morning and I definitely will slip into the library for some time - I just may not leave (haha).

New Orleans is definitely rebounding and the evidence is all around.  But there are still many, many places that are boarded up, filled with debris and no signs of recovering.  One thing Katrina did not take away from the city - its unique smell.  But that why there is not another place on this earth like New Orleans.

No comments:

Post a Comment