Friday, April 21, 2017

From the Shepherd's Heart... Friday, April 21, 2017

I am anxious to return to the pulpit this Sunday and I get to both Sunday morning and evening.

As we continue our journey through the Gospel of Luke, I must admit I did not expect to be this slow through this particular section dealing with "The Call to Follow Christ."  As we are seeing, there are some powerful moments concerning discipleship in Luke.  But as I dig deeper and see Luke 5: 27-32 with the call of Levi and the first mention of the word "disciples" (verse 30), how can I pass over it?

So, this Sunday I want to deal with the calling of Levi under the title "The Scandal of Grace" from Luke 5: 27-32.  The word “scandal”is defined as an action or event regarded as morally or legally wrong and causing general public outrage.  When Jesus called Levi to follow Him, it was scandalous.

Halle Huber shared this song that you might enjoy called "The Scandal of Grace."


Then this Sunday night we will deal with Luke 5: 33-39 concerning "Containing New Wine."  This idea of following Jesus is new - so how do we contain this "new wine?"  We must be converted - our old heart won't contain this new wine.  And we must remain pliable - fully oiled - to continue drinking of this new wine.

In fact, after a brief spiritual and study retreat, I am decided to slow down and deal more extensively with the theme of discipleship all the way through the summer and to add the great teaching chapter ("The Sermon on the Mount" in Luke) to my teaching plan for Wednesday nights beginning May 3.

I am honored to be your preacher and look forward to Sunday in Luke 5.  Pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment