Friday, August 11, 2017

Where does your joy lie?  Family?  Children? Grandchildren?  Job?  Your good health?  Or even – knowing Jesus?  Bible knowledge?

All of these things are good and there is nothing wrong with them, but Jesus clearly tells us where our source of joy should reside.  

This Sunday morning I will be preaching "The Disciple's Joy" based on Luke 9: 49-56 and 10: 17-24.  

All of this is in the context of a unique section of Biblical material – beginning in Luke 9:51 through 18:14, this most is only found in Luke.  It is six months from the death of Jesus and He moves from Galilee to Judea toward Jerusalem. 

This is largely material unique to Luke.  This section contains some of the most quoted portions of Scripture in the whole Bible, little alone in Luke - such as the Good Samaritan, the cleansing of the ten lepers, the visit to Mary and Martha's house and of course, the parables of the lost sheep, lost coin and the prodigal son.

No less than 21 of Luke's 27 parables are in this section with 18 of those 21 being peculiar to Luke. 

While I am making much of that today, it would seem that I am about to enter that section of Luke for some prolonged preaching/teaching.  But I'm not.  Instead, through previous times of preaching through Luke, I have already preached through much of this section. Plus after August I am leaving Luke and won't return to this great gospel until 2018.

Next?  Beginning September 3, I am beginning a new series of messages through Genesis 1-11 entitled "Beginnings."  Both Sunday morning and Sunday night through December 17 we will explore God's first revelation to man.   This Sunday morning there will be a detailed roll-out of that series and next week I will share more here on my blog.

This Sunday night I will be preaching "Super Sunday Nights" at Mt. Zion Baptist Church, Warrior, AL.  In my absence, Isaac Mays will be bringing God's Word at Rainsville First. 

No comments:

Post a Comment