Thursday, December 31, 2009

More from Charles' Stanley's book on the Spirit-filled life

Over the last two weeks, I have read Charles Stanley's The Wonderful Spirit-Filled Life. Over these last days of 2009, I am using this blog to share some of the actual comments from the book.

Every sinful act is committed twice: once in our heads and once in our behavior. To win the behaviour battle, we must first win the battle that takes place in our minds.

For years I was defeated in this area. Part of the reason was that I focused almost exclusively on not doing wrong things. My idea of walking in the Spirit was allowing the Holy Spirit to direct my actions. I was preoccupied with good behaviour. But no matter how committed I was, at best I was inconsistent.

Not too long after my life-changing encounter with the Holy Spirit, I saw what my problem was. I wasn't taking part in the battle before the battle. Walking in the Spirit requires a mind-set, a preoccupation with truth. The battle begins not with the temptation to do something but with the temptation to dwell on anything that conflicts with what is true. This is the battle before the battle. (pages 91-92)

Like so many people, I wasn't always careful with what I allowed myself to think about. When I got serious about setting my mind on the things of the Spirit, I realized just how polluted my mind really was. (page 92)

There is no legitimate place in the mind of the believer for ideas, notions, dreams, or fantasies that have as part of all their content things that are contrary to the truth of God. (page 93)

"We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every though captive to the obedience of Christ." II Corinthians 10:5

Nothing I have done has produced more immediate change in my life than destroying speculations and taking every thought captive. I was amazed. The difference was instantly recognizable. Victory became a way of life rather than the exception. (page 95)

Paul calls the Word of God the sword of the Spirit. Viewing the Bible as a sword was not a new concept. But I realized that the Word of God is the weapon the Holy Spirit uses to expose and destroy the lies confronting the children of God. (page 95)

Let me take some pressure off by reminding you that we are not responsible for the thoughts that pop into our heads. We have no control over what drifts through our minds. Evil thoughts are not sin. Sin is grabbing hold of those thoughts and dwelling on them (Matthew 5:28). (page 96)

The Holy Spirit is committed and equipped to guide you. He will guide you according to truth. But He will not override your will and force you to follow. You have a part to play. And it begins with your mind. (page 96)

To walk by the Spirit is to live with moment-by-moment dependency on and sensitivity to the initial promptings of the Holy Spirit. It is a life-style. It is my hope that you will begin today. (page 97)

No comments:

Post a Comment