Wednesday, June 26, 2024

My Sabbitical July 1-31

The church I pastor has graciously given me a sabbatical for the month of July.  This is only the second sabbatical I have had in my 46 years of being a pastor.  It was with interest I heard Dr. Jeff Iorg's podcast last week on the issue of rest.  I have included the link to the podcast at the bottom if you want to hear it in its fullness.

But Dr. Iorg said there are "Models of Rest" in the Bible.  The first is the Sabbath day found in Genesis 2:2 when God rested on the seventh day.  He did not rest because He was tired, but rather to set an example and put into pattern the normality of resting every seven days.  These days are to be days to worship and reconnect with family.  But let me just suggest, that we don't observe a sabbath very well.  For most people, the "day of rest" is just another day to get done what we did not get done the other six days.

The second model found in the Old Testament was the feast weeks.  There were three feasts extending from one Sabbath to the next.  These eight days were set for the Jews to worship God and recalibrate their lives around who God was and what He had done.

Lastly, there was an entire year of rest granted for the land and for new married couples.

He summarizes with three main purposes of these rest periods God ordained.

1. Remind us God is our creator, provider, and sustainer.

2. Refocus our life on God and His presence in our life.  The focus of our life is not work, but God.

3. Rejunate us for work.  

As I begin this sabbatical on July 1, I will step away from blogging and social media in order to focus on God and rest.  I will admit, as a pastor, this is a bit scary.  As a pastor, there is never a time when my mind and my heart are not engaged with God's people and His work.  To take 31 days of disconnecting will be hard, but I believe it will be healthy and good.

Pray for Roxanne and me as we spend these days with God, each other, and family.

Here is the link to Dr. Iorg's podcast.

Blessings;

David


No comments:

Post a Comment