Saturday, May 24, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend Thoughts

This is Memorial Day weekend when we seek to remember those who have died and gone before us.

We wish to pray for families of more than 4,000 Americans who have lost their lives in the Iraq/Afghanistan war. What we cannot quantify is the pain these families are enduring because of their losses.

I am told that on this day years ago people would gather at cemeteries to remember the dead. I like that. How did Southerners ever move it to Sunday? I digress.

But when we remember those who have gone before us, it is like the “Great cloud of witnesses” that Hebrews 12 refers to. These are pastors, great stalwarts of the church, Sunday School teachers, music leaders, grannies, and family members who have “fought the fight and finished the course.” They are now cheering us on to do likewise.

Dottie Rambo died May 11, as most of you know. When I heard of her death on that Mother’s Day afternoon, I immediately thought of her great song, “I’ve Never Been This Homesick Before.” The words go like this: “See the bright lights shine, its just about home time. I can see My Father standing at the door. This world has been a wilderness, but I’m ready for deliverance. Oh, I’ve never been this homesick before. I can see the family gather. Sweet faces, there all familiar. But no one’s old or feeble anymore. Oh, this lonesome heart is cryin’ Think I’ll spread my wings for flying’. Lord, I’ve never felt this homesick before.”

I grew up on the Rambos, Goodmans, Speers and the like. I still like that music. It speaks to the heart.

Now, Dottie has joined that “cloud” and we are still pressing on. But we are walking this path under the cloud of great soldiers of the faith. And as we think of them, it makes the heat of the day more bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment