Saturday, February 6, 2010

Being Consumed with Christ

My friend Russ Fox writes daily Bible studies that I am privileged to receive. He is currently going through the book of Philippians.

Philippians 1:21 For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 For I am hard pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better. 24 Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you. 25 And being confident of this, I know that I shall remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy of faith, 26 that your rejoicing for me may be more abundant in Jesus Christ by my coming to you again.

In the last email I wanted to make the connection between what we read in the Bible and how we act in our day to day lives. That although the Apostle Paul was a missionary, yet his life principles, the way he responded to difficulties and his general view on life, were and ought to continue to be an example to others of us who believe in Jesus. I think I’ve discovered a hitch in the average Christian’s attitude toward the Bible; that often, I get the impression from listening to and watching some who say they believe in Jesus, that the Bible is something to be looked at in the abstract; that it is interesting to talk about, but not particularly relevant in everyday life. If I am right in my opinion, then it explains why little is done in the average church that draws attention to God (that He is glorified); where He is really the star of the situation. Later on in chapter 2 Paul will encourage his readers toDo all things without complaining and disputing, 15 that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain” (2:14-16). “Light” in the NT not only refers to Jesus (“I am the light of the world”, John 8:12; 9:5), but it also speaks about believers being “light in the Lord” (Ephesians 5:8) and that we should “Walk as children of light”. Paul goes on in that chapter (Ephesians 5) to say that “all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light” (5:13). A church only shines as lights in the world when Jesus is living and working in and through each member. At the beginning of chapter two Paul wrote the following,

Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, 2 fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. 3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. 5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus… (2:1-5)

Again, Paul’s admonition to his readers is to “be” a Christian by acting like a Christian; by allowing the way Jesus thought to dictate how they should think (that’s from verse 5, “Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus”). Paul modeled the mind of Christ when he expressed his attitude toward life and death, and what purpose his life ought to have if he should continue to live.

I’m not entirely sure what a sold-out Christian looks like (not even when I look in the mirror); but, in the pages of the Bible, and particularly in the life of Paul, I get an illustration of what God is up to in my own life by seeing how Paul responded to his own life circumstances. I know where He’s going and what I should think and how I should act when He, God, has got all of me there is to get.

My mother used to use this phrase when I was so absorbed with something that I couldn’t think about anything else; “He’s eat up with it.” Not that I was consuming the thing, but the thing was consuming me. I want to be consumed with Christ; I want my thoughts to be his thoughts and His purpose to be mine, and His pleasure my all consuming goal. I want my “desire” to be like that of Paul’s “to depart and be with Christ”; but then, in a kind of disappointed “If I have to” post script, “Nevertheless” if I must remain than let my life count for Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment