Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My great nephew, Dylan Parrish, is finalists for Bryant-Jordan Scholarship Program

The following article was published in The Sand Mountain Reporter about my great-nephew, Dylan Parrish.

Parrish earns area, region awards


Published February 16, 2010

Feb. 8 proved to be a great night to be a Pirate, as Boaz fans celebrated boys and girls area basketball tournament championships, as well as Dylan Parrish’s success in the Bryant-Jordan Scholarship Program.

Parrish, an 18-year-old senior, was recognized for winning the Bryant-Jordan Achievement Award for both Class 5A, Area 13 and Class 5A, Region 7.

According to the AHSAA’s Web site, all regional achievement and scholar-athlete winners will be recognized and honored and the 12 class winners and the two state winners will be announced at the 25th Bryant-Jordan Awards Banquet.

The event is scheduled for April 5 at 6:30 p.m. at the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel ballroom.

“I was surprised at first,” Parrish said, when he learned he had won the Area 13 award.

He believes letters of recommendation, including ones written by Boaz Mayor Tim Walker and the Rev. David Martin, helped his cause.

Martin serves as Parrish’s pastor at Mount Vernon Baptist Church.

Boaz Principal Lowell Smith informed Parrish he won the regional award during the boys area tournament semifinals Feb. 5.

“I was surprised again, but without God I wouldn’t have had this. I just want to thank Him,” Parrish said.

“I’m excited to go to Birmingham.”

Parrish has competed in basketball, golf and cross country for the Pirates. He’s worked as a basketball statistician this season.

He is the son of Darryl and Rissa Parrish. His sister, Anna, a freshman, is a Pirate cheerleader.

“I just want to thank all my family members, especially my mom and dad, because they mean the most to me,” Parrish said.

“My grandparents and great-grandparents, they mean a lot to me too, and of course, my sister.”

Smith said BHS is “real proud” of Parrish.

“He’s a good kid. Dylan’s a trooper,” Smith said. “Dylan has overcome a lot of adversity and doesn’t complain. He goes on with it, deals with it and wants to come to school.

“He works hard when he’s here, does well when he’s here. He’s just a good all-around young man.”



No comments:

Post a Comment