Thursday, February 25, 2010

I Am Redeemed

Sunday night our church family celebrated the Lord's Supper at the conclusion of a series of messages since the first of the year on "Remember." It was only right to conclude with the greatest statement on remember when Jesus said in I Corinthians 11:24 and 25 "Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me." "This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me."

Jesus is saying, "Don't forget what I have done for you."

Well, in the midst of the "normal" Lord's Supper - the Holy Spirit showed up to me. You see, God does not work in a vacuum. Two things had been going on: (1) We were concluding our missions emphasis "To the World With Love" with me preaching two messages on missions (one last Sunday morning and one three weeks ago) and Dr. Gordon Fort, Vice-President of the International Mission Board, preaching Feb. 14. When the power of the message of reaching a world is given under the anointing of the Holy Spirit - it ALWAYS challenges my heart and renews my surrender to God. If there is one thing that God has used to always "check my blood pressure" it is missions and my willingness to go and sacrifice for the cause of the Gospel.

(2) A song I have heard had been in my spirit for a few days. I first heard this song performed live by The Greenes last November and it just went straight to my heart (did not pass go, did not collect $200) and it caused me to immediately rejoice with tears streaming like Niagara Falls. Then last Friday Roxanne and I were driving to Gadsden and it came on Sirius Radio and I turned it up so loud in the car and had church. Then Sunday afternoon I was traveling from the hospital to a funeral and it was played again on a local radio station. Somewhere around Killen, I just made a fool of myself in the car.

Well, Sunday night as we came to the Lord's Table, the Lord reminded me that "I am Redeemed" by His body and blood. Brought with a price - so why would I consider anything a sacrifice for Him when He sacrificed far more for me? God broke me.

I don't use those words flippantly. When the Holy Spirit of God does a work, it is sudden and complete. He downloads a lot in a moment; it takes a while to unpack what He downloads into you. That has been my week - trying to unpack what He has done. I tried to share some last night at church and I might share later in this venue.

For now, listen to the song by The Greenes "I am Redeemed." It was recorded at Brooklyn Tabernacle (another favorite place of mine) last September and "if anybody ask you, just who I am; just tell them I am Redeemed."




No comments:

Post a Comment