Wednesday, May 1, 2024

What I don't like about being a Pastor

Last week I shared in this blog my favorite title for being a pastor and that is Shepherd.  It speaks of the relationship between people and pastor.  Being a pastor is like being a priest, you are the middle between God on one hand and the people on the other.  In other words, God and people are the reason you are a pastor.

But there is one major thing about being a pastor I have never gotten used to after 45 years.  And that is when people use you and misuse you leaving you wounded.  

I had an older man of the church sit in my office one day telling me I was the best thing that had happened to that church in his lifetime.  I appreciated his observation, especially since he was part of the committee that brought me to the church and his longevity in the church. But in less than a couple years, that same man left the church without saying one word to me.  What happened?  

I have been verbally assaulted privately and publically (in church business meetings) by people who had told me how much they loved me and appreciated me just months (sometimes weeks) earlier.  I have had those who would bring us large gifts at Christmas one year, and the next year it was smaller, and by the third year, there was no gift at all.

There are people in the church who look at the church only through political glasses.  I'm not saying  Republican or Democratic glasses (although they are those too), but those who will see the pastor as only someone to advance their agenda. And if he dares (sometimes not even knowingly doing it) to abort that agenda or detour it, then they immediately turn.

One thing for any pastor who might be reading this blog.  I have learned this slowly (oh so slowly), but after 45 years of pastoring, I have found it to be so, so very true.  This is sad but true.  There are certain individuals in the church who will give every pastor trouble. There are other individuals who will never like any pastor they have.  They didn't like the last pastor.  They didn't like the pastor before him.  Oh, they will like you for a while, but then...something you say, do, or don't do and you are on their "no-fly" list.  (LOL)

When that happens, just understand, it's not you.  It's the office they don't like.  There is no way every pastor can be that bad or unlikeable.  This came to me from an older deacon several years ago.  I had received a very bad and long letter from an older lady in the church telling me where I could go (you get the drift) and take my music guy with me to that place of abyss.  So I just took the letter to the Deacon's meeting and read it and asked the brothers what to do.  One older brother immediately spoke up and said, "Oh preacher, she did that to Bro. _______ and called the name of the former pastor."  I immediately folded the letter back up and put it away having learned a great lesson. 

Well, in spite of it all, I am glad God called me to be a pastor. I love the sheep. 

Blessings;

David



No comments:

Post a Comment