Friday, September 16, 2016

From the Shepherd's Heart...Friday, September 16, 2016...Why Study Habakkuk?

We have started this past Sunday a new series of messages through Habakkuk.

Just a note, I am doing this series Sunday mornings and night through the first of November.  So, don't miss a service.

You ask, Who is Habakkuk?  And Why do we concern ourselves with him today?  You don’t know anybody named Habakkuk.  No one will ever name their child Habakkuk.  And further more, that part of the Bible is so old, what good does it do us today?

In our contemporary churches, it is very popular to ask what a book of the Bible or even the Bible itself has to do with our lives.  I am not against that question for all questions are legitimate as long as you are open to an answer.  So I welcome that question and consider it healthy.

The problem arises when we seek only to find how something applies to us and that’s all we want. Give me five helps for raising children, give me the key to a successful marriage, help me balance my check book.  Now there is nothing wrong with those issues, but we must be very careful to make a “god” out of the solution and want only an answer.
I saw an article the other day in the paper that said my generation is sicker, having more doctor visits earlier in their lives and already having difficulty in their 50s to reaching down to pick up their grandchildren. The reason – we have been raised with doctors and medicine and if we have a medical issue, we go to the doctor and get a pill.  We don’t want to talk about changing our diet, exercising or changing our lifestyle.

This carries over spiritually.  Preacher, give me a pill to help me and if I’m not better by next Sunday, I’ll come back and get another pill.  But if I don’t like the pill you are prescribing or if it is not working, then I will go to another doctor (church) and see what they have to offer.  Because the only thing that matters is that I get my problems fixed and get them fixed the less painful way possible.  Whoever has the answer get my attendance.

This is not following Christ.  This approach is self-centered and works oriented.  We want something that works and we don’t care who said it, where it came from or what the long term affects might be, we just want it to work.

We think we can’t find the favor of God by following some advice.  God’s Word is not advice on the same level of Oprah or Dr. Phil.  It is the eternal, never-changing command of God that is good for every generation no matter if they live with a walking cane or a pierced tongue.

Church, I can’t go there.  I can not just use your money that you invest in my life to go to the pulpit  Sunday-after-Sunday to give you “the three latest steps to get over the discomfort of your ingrown toe nail.”  It will be doing you great harm if that is all the pulpit at Rainsville First is.  Why is this disservice to you?

  • This type of preaching is how cults starts.  Just enough “Bible” sprinkled in to make it look good.
  • This is how you get off in wrong doctrine.  What we believe controls ultimately how we behave.  Don’t chase the symptoms of wrong behavior, change the source of it – the mind – what you believe.
  • This is how you your life will fall apart.  When things in your life do begin to fall apart and there is no “rock” for you, then what does it matter how practical the little sermon was or how beautiful the house was when it all comes crashing down.
You need to know what you believe and why you believe it.  And the answer to the “why” is not “because that’s what the preacher said.”  I’m not trying to make the pulpit to be a seminary class, but the pastor is a teacher who should be a “theologian-in-residence” who teaches the people of God week after week the things for which to build their lives.

So, why study Habakkuk?


  1. It’s a dialogue between Habakkuk and God with Habakkuk complaining to God about what He is doing.  Ever been there?
  2. It is the foundation for understanding faith as revealed in the New Testament.  Since faith is the most important, most essential topic – then we need to understand it well. 
  3. This book along with Romans was used as a lightening rod to start the Protestant Reformation so we need to understand our history.

No comments:

Post a Comment