Saturday, March 29, 2008

New Sermon series

Saturday nights are always "quirky." But after having been sickly for a couple days to where I was even wondering if I would get to preach tomorrow, I am excited that I am for several reasons.

Number one. It is always a joy to preach God's Word. That's what God called me to over 35 years ago - to be a preacher. When I study, contemplate and shift through for my people, that is always exciting.

Number two. I'm beginning tomorrow with Romans 6. We started Romans in 2005 going through Romans 1-5 and stopping for a rest in June of last year. Now, we start back. A little later than I had anticipated, but nevertheless perfect in God's timing. Romans 6-7-8 are the three greatest chapters back-to-back in the Bible. I have entitled this study "Protection from Spiritual Identity Theft."

Number three. To once again encounter the power of the Word of God in proclamation. I enjoy preaching no matter where, when or from what portion of Scripture. But my greatest love is a verse-by-verse, chapter-by-chapter exposition. There is just power and edification in that approach that can not be found anywhere else.

That is true in my own private life. I read different devotions and Scriptures, but the greatest impact on my spiritual life has been when I have been studying a prolonged passage of Scripture, topic or book.

I believe a church is best fed by the same procedures. I do not mean to be disparagingly toward anyone, but for me this type of preaching just seems to help us more readily "grow in full maturity."

The big issue today is not the inerrancy of Scripture, but the sufficiency of Scripture. It is sufficient for all of life.

John MacArthur recently said of the Word, "God's Word becomes the anchor of our life. Our hiding place. Our counselor. Our teacher. Our shield. our lantern. Our reference point. Our measuring stick. No one has ever been saved apart from it, and no one has ever grown to spiritual maturity apart from the Holy Spirit working through it."

I pray I am digging deeper than I ever have and I pray you are as well. I love it more today than ever before. Can't wait til tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment